My great-grandmother said it to all of us girls. My Aunt Molli often repeats the same five little words.
Pretty is as pretty does.
It’s one of the 14 things I want my girl to know, a valuable truth for all our girls to embrace and believe. Casiday’s favorite Scripture passage right now is Proverbs 31:10-31. Great choice for a 16-year-old, right? It is one of my favorites as well. I especially love verse 30:
Charm is deceptive and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
I’m pretty sure this was Lemuel’s mother’s way of saying, “Pretty is as pretty does.”
What does pretty do?
Proverbs 31 offers five truths about beauty, five things our girls need to know about what true beauty, pretty, really is.
- Pretty seeks the well-being of others. (v. 11-12)
- Pretty works with diligence and integrity. (v. 13-19)
- Pretty shares generously with others. (v. 20)
- Pretty prepares for the future without fear of the present. (v. 21-22)
- Pretty pursues joy, wisdom, and kindness. (v. 25-26)
As we strive to teach our girls the truth about beauty, these are important things they need to understand. But above all, we need to help them grasp that the most beautiful thing a girl does is love the Lord (v. 30).
Pretty is as pretty does, indeed. And the most attractive feature of any girl is her love for Christ!
How can you encourage your daughter to pursue true beauty?